Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Freeway Series, LA


I am so proud of the Los Angeles Clippers -- it is like New Year's in my brain of basketball passions! Thirty years is a long time to wait to advance in the playoffs. I suspect they will make easy work of the Lakers, and the Los Angeles press will be beside itself. I agree wholeheartedly with shaman that the Clippers are as good as a lock for the Conference Finals, which in itself will make broadcast coverage something of an event in its acknowledgment of the franchise's emergence from the depths. I differ however in my fervent hope and desire that they advance to the Finals, capping what has been a most tremendous year for the team. There, they will lose to the Pistons.

But meanwhile we have a number of series on our hands. San Antonio looks surprisingly vulnerable, not nearly as dominant as one might have expected them to be. But I suppose that is part of their psychology... Sacramento, in any event, has definitely got an underrated assemblage of pieces that is difficult to ignore. It's nice to see a competitive series, and I look forward to tonight's game.

And how about the Bulls? (Boy am I NOT feeling Miami.) Man do I love the playoffs; it turns out regular season basketball sux! Regular season has its place, but where else do you see Andres Nocioni playing absolutely out of his head? Guys like Manu Ginobili are forged in the playoffs -- it's where salaries and respect are earned. But for my money the best series is the Cleveland/Washington series. I preferred Cleveland but Washington is making me a believer -- while the rosters are evenly matched, i think, with a slight advantage for Cleveland because of their frontcourt, Washington appears to have mre consistent contributors. Where the hell is Zydrunas Ilgauskas's post play? Cleveland seems lost offensively, relying on crazy lebron heroics, and they've gotta right the ship if they want to advance.

good times.

MCA

No comments: